December 23, 2015

JACOB & ESAU

Jacob & Esau is not just an ordinary online shop. This ethical fashion label is based in Melbourne and manufactured in Indonesia. Because of their overarching vision for sustainable fashion, they partner up with like-minded businesses. They collaborated with non-profit organisations in fundraising events such as fashion shows and market stalls. Everything is very transparent, from how they design, manufacture and market their products! You can even meet the maker of those beautiful designs via their website. 

Here's a quick interview with Jacob & Esau's founders:


How did you guys started?
J: Jacob & Esau is a clothing label born out of our heart for a more sustainable and fairer future for the fashion industry. We were searching for ethically-made clothing which didn't break the bank while remaining stylish, and weren't quite happy with the options that were out there. So we started brainstorming the idea of creating our own clothing alternative!


​What's your inspiration?

E: It’s difficult to put my finger on exactly where my inspiration comes from but I think it's evident that Jacob & Esau garments are a reflection of my personal style, wherever that stems from! A sense of practicality, versatility and the J&E vision are the main factors I consider when deciding what to produce. In the early stages of our business especially, I am inspired to create garments suited for everyone (suiting a large number of body types, style preferences and budgets) since my belief is that all clothing should be made ethically and that all people should be treated fairly. This and what it represents is both a simple but very complicated concept!


​What are your goals for the future?​

E: Following on from my inspiration, I am driven very strongly by the need for global equality not just in fashion supply chains but in everything! A phrase I’ll borrow from Moira Kelly is that a person should not be in need simply because they were born with the wrong passport. It just so happens that fashion is an industry that allows me to be active, invested and learn from a range of interests such as business management, creative design and social change, all things I am somewhat overly passionate about!

Our business was founded to support a statement we strongly believe in: that ethically produced clothing can be the norm. In my research I found many social enterprises, charities and one-for-one businesses that advocated for fair labor in the fashion industry, as well as many Fair Trade labels that only appealed to a certain ‘Fair Trade style’ or were simply priced at the higher end of the market. It was our vision then to be a regular business (not a social enterprise, charity or organisation) that operated with a transparent supply chain, producing beautiful clothes to the market at an affordable price. If we could achieve this, the question to pose would then be: if we can do it, why can’t every other business do it?

J: To add on to what Esther has said, one of the reasons why I have chosen to come along this journey is simply to do what I can on my part for a better future for us all. Change can be made, starting from the smallest of steps. It can sound a little over-used at times, but this big picture view is essential in keeping me on track and in focus on the present, for I know it is all going towards a more sustainable future. I have more than I need and am well-equipped with education and technology, why wouldn’t I do my part and give back where I can?


How do you sell your items? Is it just online?
We have an online store which we launched January this year, and is a handy platform for our regulars to make repeat purchases. A couple of months ago, we started setting up shop at markets on weekends, and found this to be an incredible way to reach out to a whole new community who share our passion to do what we do! 

You can check them out at: http://www.jacobandesau.co/home
Instagram: @jacobandesau

PS. All orders will be shipped after Christmas due to high demand








Photographed by Hans Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment